This may be my favorite way to eat stuffed peppers! Instead of going through the hassle of stuffing each pepper (heck, I’m gonna chop it up before I eat it anyways). This has the same taste with a lot less effort. Sold! This recipe also makes a ton, which I love. I always get a few tupperware containers to throw into the freezer. There is nothing better in a month or two when I have a thousand things to do and I can just pull this dish out of the freezer, pop it in the oven, and have a healthy and delicious dinner ready to roll without any effort. This recipe was adapted from a recipe on www.allrecipes.com. The original recipe can be found here.
Warm, hearty, filling, nutritious, and darn good! This is a recipe you will fall back on all winter long. This can be adapted to use any type of peppers you prefer. I love spicy peppers and so I use a lot of hungarians, jalapeños, poblanos, etc. I always throw in a few bell peppers and banana peppers though to balance out the heat. if you aren’t big on hot peppers, just use all sweet peppers! No problem!
I construct this dish similar to a lasagna, laying the ingredients out in layers. Sauce, peppers, sausage/rice, more peppers, more sauce, mozzarella cheese. YUM! here are some pictures of me loading up my baking dish.
As I said before, this recipe freezes perfectly. I have frozen it before and after cooking with no issue. I love having food in the freezer for those busy nights. My freezer is always bursting at the seams, so don’t judge the picture you are about to see…I use every inch of space. Just focus on those 3 containers of stuffed peppers in the front! Nom nom nom!
Okay, so let’s get to it. Here is the recipe for y’all. Enjoy!
- 15 to 20 peppers (I use a mixture of hot and sweet peppers, but alter to your personal preference)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound hot sausage
- 1 pound mild sausage
- 1½ cups brown rice (cooked)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare peppers by removing ribs and seeds and chopping into 1-2 inch pieces. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add peppers and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in a skillet. Saute the onion and celery until tender. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered until thickened slightly (about 10 minutes)
- In a large bowl, mix together sausage, parmesan cheese, and brown rice.
- In a 9x13 baking dish (I can normally fill 2 baking dishes with 1 recipe, so keep that in mind when adding your ingredients to the pan) begin layering your stuffed peppers. Cover the bottom of the dish with tomato sauce. Add a layer of peppers. Spread your sausage mixture on top. Add another layer of peppers. Pour remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle the top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.