I don’t have access to a microwave at work right now so I have been coming up with some easy lunch ideas that can be eaten cold. Egg salad is my current favorite! It is easy, yummy, and filling which is perfect to give me energy through the afternoon! I have subbed the mayo for greek yogurt which makes this healthier for you while still tasting great! I will admit I used to love tuna and chicken salad loaded with mayo, so I was kind of weary on whether this would pass the taste test. I am being totally honest with you when I say I couldn’t even tell the difference! Once you mix it up with the mustard, spices, and veggies it really tastes like it is mayo in there. I also added cannelini beans to this egg salad for some extra fiber.
This is super easy to make and it gives you enough for lunches all week! I eat this either on a sandwich loaded with spinach or just on a bed of spinach/lettuce all by itself! My point? It is really good with a big bed of greens : ) I have heard a lot of people put curry powder in their egg salad, which I had never tried before. It sounds strange, but it is actually really good! I also like to add a diced carrot when I have them or even some diced up pickles! What? Pickles? Sounds strange again, but it is actually really good too! Get creative!
- 10 eggs
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 5.3 ounces (1 single serve container) plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mustard (whole grain, dijon, regular, your choice!)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put eggs in a large pot, fill the pot with water until eggs are covered by about an inch of water. Add a couple tablespoons of vinegar to the water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Peel eggs and dice up. Place in a large bowl. Add cannellini beans, onion, celery, and bell pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together greek yogurt, mustard, curry powder, celery seed, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the yogurt/mustard dressing over the eggs and bean mixture. Mix together until everything is combined and coated.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or in a sandwich!
What do you like to put in your egg salad? Leave your suggestions in the comments below : )