The weather today went something like this: rain, ice, couple inches of snow, ice, rain, ice snow, more snow. Totally gross and nasty. Sometimes you just need to embrace the weather though and have some fun (and act like kids again). We have gotten a decent amount of snow throughout the day and it is that PERFECT heavy, wet snow. Perfect packing snow. So naturally, we went out into the yard with the pups and had a full on snow ball fight like little kids. I have never seen dogs get so excited to chase balls of snow that explode on impact, but they were LOVING it. We were laughing so hard we were practically crying. It was the best. I attempted to make a snow man but the snow was too wet for that. Sigh. Maybe another day, haha! After all that fun, I wanted to keep with the theme of childhood memories and make some tasty grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. That is where this delicious sandwich makes an appearance.
If you made my jalapeño garlic hummus that I posted earlier in the week, then you are halfway to the best sandwich of your life! I told Matt I was going to make a hummus grilled cheese, and he thought it sounded gross because I said I was going to make it with mozzarella. He said, let’s use gouda! So I went with it, and oh my gosh. It is so so so so good. We have been eating them for quite a few days in a row now haha. I added some slices of red pepper that I had in the fridge and they just go perfectly.
Here is the official “recipe” I didn’t measure my cheese or hummus, just go with it. A little too much cheese or hummus never hurt anyone! It was surprisingly hard to type out how to make a grilled cheese, lol. I must have been over thinking it. Haha. Basically, make a sandwich buttered on the outside with cheese, red peppers, and hummus and put it on a pan till its toasty, melty, and yummy!
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- red pepper slices
- Butter one side of the bread (to be placed butter side down on the pan) On the unbuttered side, thinly slice some gouda and place it on your bread.
- Heat up a pan over medium heat and Put your bread with the cheese slices in the pan. Add 4-5 red pepper slices.
- Butter one side of your second piece of bread. On the unbuttered side, slather a layer of hummus. Put the sandwich together.
- Flip the sandwich over when cheese is melty and bread is golden brown. Cook until the other side is golden brown.