There is nothing better than soup made with all pantry/freezer items. Am I right? This soup is the perfect thing to battle cold winter days! And you don’t even need to leave your house to make it!! Yayyy!!! Well, maybe you do. I’m not sure how stocked your pantry and freezer are lol. We all know I have a bit of a freezer problem. As seen here and here. And I actually just spent a whole weekday night reorganizing and taking inventory of the freezer and chest freezer a few nights ago. I am telling you, I live a wild and crazy lifestyle.
Can I just say, the past few days I have been in such a spring fever mode. Me and my sister have been talking garden plans and landscaping and veggies like crazy any time we get on the phone. We can’t stop. I mean, obsessed lol. Let me just say, if you swing by my Pinterest page any time in the near future, there is a mass amount of garden pins going on. Sorry, not sorry! Lolol. I drew up my veggie garden for the year and ordered my seeds yesterday! My sister has her whole front yard landscape drawn out and planned. So excited. I’ll post my veggie plans for the year maybe next week sometime. I am trying a few new things, so I am excited about that! I am also committed to starting a compost pile this year, so if you have any tips, please let me know! And, another year, another attempt at incorporating more edibles into my landscaping! I’ve been sneakily adding them each year!
So, anyways, back to this tasty tasty soup!! It is so filling, you guys. The quinoa and the beans and all the veggies!! It makes you stuffed and warm and fuzzy feeling. Perfect for wintertime! See the steam coming off that bowl? Nom nom nom. I used a frozen mixed veggie mix (green beans, carrots, lima beans, peas, corn), plus some fresh diced veggies (onions, celery, peppers) but you could probably whip up any combo of veggies that you like. Just make sure it is around 7 cups total veggies and 1 cup of a green total. I used swiss chard (from my front yard edible landscaping!!) but spinach/kale/collards/etc would work just fine too. Whatever you hand on hand!
- 7 cups chopped veggies (onions, peas, corn, peppers, carrots, celery, green beans, lima beans, potatoes, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable broth (depending how thick you want the soup)
- 1 cup chopped greens
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- parmesan cheese, if desired, for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot.
- Add chopped veggies and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except greens and kidney beans. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked. 10 minutes into simmer, add the chopped greens and kidney beans.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese, if desired!
What are you guys cooking this week? What sounds good? Matt said he “kaboomed” this soup by adding parmesan cheese to it. So, I added that to the recipe for y’all. I have to admit, it is pretty delicious with a sprinkling of cheese on top. I made a double batch of this soup and threw half in the freezer! hehehe.