What an absolutely beautiful Saturday! Sunny and 70 degrees, you can’t ask for better weather!! I spent most of my day outside weeding and cleaning up the yard. I was also playing fetch with Sid while Dixie was digging up chunks of grass and mud (and I wonder why my yard looks horrible!!!) Then I thought it would be really fun to take both of the dogs for a walk myself …. bahhahahhaah. It was like being pulled down the street by a tank. Then they decided they would rather wrestle than walk…. I can’t imagine what the cars driving by were thinking. But I know what I was thinking: turn this bus around! All in all, our walk lasted about 10 minutes and I could still see our house the entire time. We will be refreshing our walking politely on leash training ASAP.
Anyways, I also spent a good amount of the day cooking. I got up early to get my english muffin dough mixed up and rising. Then I tried my hand at making vegetable stock from kitchen scraps. The recipe for that is going to be coming soon! Then I made a breakfast smoothie (recipe is also coming soon!). Basically, what I am trying to tell you is stay tuned! I know I have been slacking a little lately on new recipes, and I am getting back on track for y’all. Finally, I made this amazing quinoa salad for lunch. This salad has been my go-to meal for lunches during the week since I don’t have a microwave. I have been craving lighter, fresher meals with the weather warming up, and this salad is just what I need. It is also super filling and all natural! Yay!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes (or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, mix together cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, and feta cheese. Once quinoa is cool, add the quinoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until well incorporated.
- Serve cold.
This would also be yummy with whatever add ons you like. Chicken would be a great addition. I have added mushrooms, green onions, you can really get creative with this one.