follow link I just want you all to know… I have the best intentions of sitting down and busting out blog posts on my days/mornings off. But I get very easily distracted. Like today. I went all over the place running errands and getting groceries and all that jazz. Then I came home and thought… let’s make a cheesecake to surprise Matt! Okay, here we go. (and yes, I eat healthy and I will still eat a slice of cheesecake every once in a while. Everything in moderation!) Then midway through cheesecake making I spilled some on the floor and realized, wow my floors are quite messy. I will clean them! And there goes the buzzer for the laundry. Let’s old the clothes. And iron them. Then the sun comes out so I have to go out with the dogs and play fetch for a while and weed. And there are a lot of weeds. Then of course I have to run 30 minutes away to pick up some winemaking supplies at a local winery so I can try my hand at strawberry wine (I will let you know how that goes)!!!! And of course squeeze in a little 30 minute yoga video. And pretend I don’t see the giant mountain of dishes in the sink. Dang it, I can’t un-see them. Let’s do the dishes. Then I get around to the computer and it is like oh wait, it is 10 PM already? What?! Maybe tomorrow…. The struggle is real lol. But just know, I AM TRYING! : )
source So anyways, in the midst of my crazy day today, I mixed up this delicious quinoa salad which made me very happy and gave me yummy lunches for the week. This is the cousin to my Mediterranean inspired quinoa salad. These are great cold salads for the summer months when you want a quick lunch on the go. With the quinoa and beans you will stay full all afternoon. So you can get on with all of your crazy activities, lol. This makes enough for 6 to 8 lunches, depending how big of a helping you want. I like to put diced avocado on mine before serving. I don’t mix it into the salad because it would just get all mushed up.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- avocado for topping, if desired
- In a medium stock pot, add quinoa and vegetable broth (or water) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is fully cooked and broth has cooked out completely (quinoa is dry). Let quinoa cool slightly before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, add quinoa, tomatoes, green onions, bell pepper, jalapeño, black beans, and corn.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing. Mix together olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, honey, cumin, chili powder.
- Add the dressing to the salad and mix together until everything is coated.
- Top with diced avocado when serving if desired