Give your delivery pizza the “it’s not you, it’s me” speech. You won’t be going back to delivery pizza after getting a taste of this pizza. Not only does it taste 100 times better than delivery, it is WAY healthier for you. Now I am not saying this is the healthiest recipe to ever walk the face of the earth (it is still pizza, people) but compared to delivery, this is much better for you. You are in control of everything that goes into the pizza and you can make it just the way you like it! Less sauce, more cheese, more toppings … go for it! And, oh yeah, it is a stuffed crust pizza!!
I make the dough from scratch. Processed pizza dough you can get in the store is full of preservatives and lets face it, it doesn’t taste good. This dough is full of italian seasonings and garlic and brushed with olive oil to give you a nice crispy crust out of the oven. Oh, and did I mention it is stuffed with mozzarella cheese? Heck, you are making this pizza from scratch, you deserve stuffed crust! It only takes an extra minute to lay some cheese around the edges and then wrap your crust all around it. Heavenly.
For the sauce, you can really go with whatever type of sauce suits your fancy. When I make my own pasta sauce and have some left over, guess what this girl makes for dinner the next night? A pizza with homemade sauce! But for the nights when I just want a darn good pizza with a little less effort I reach for my secret ingredient…vodka sauce!! It is so delicious, I know it seems odd, but just give it a chance. I promise you will fall in love.
Add whatever toppings you like, I am normally pretty easy. Peppers and onions and I am a happy camper. Sometimes I add sausage or hot pepper rings. So yummy! Sprinkle more cheese on top and pop this bad boy in the oven. Twenty five minutes later you will have this …. Ta-da!
Is your mouth watering yet? Here is the recipe!
- 2¼ teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2½ cups bread or all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more for brushing onto crust
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 16 oz block of mozzarella cheese
- vodka sauce or homemade sauce
- desired toppings
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar into warm water in a medium bowl. Let stand about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- In stand mixer (or large bowl) Mix flour, salt, and italian seasoning.
- Add garlic, olive oil, and yeast mixture and mix until well combined.
- Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Work dough into a ball then using a rolling pin, roll dough out into a large circle. (for size, put your pizza stone over top of the dough and make sure you have a big enough circle to fold up your edges for the crust.)
- Transfer crust onto a pizza stone that has been dusted with cornmeal.
- Lay slices of cheese around the edges. Fold up the edges and pinch them closed with your fingers.
- With a brush (or your fingers) brush the entire crust with some olive oil. Make sure to get the crust.
- Spread out your vodka sauce then add your toppings and your cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let the pizza cool before serving!
What are your favorite pizza toppings? Leave your comments below : )