I know it is 80 degrees out and you are probably thinking I’m crazy for posting a soup recipe. We’ve been over this before… I am a soup addict. And in my defense, I made this soup a few months ago, but I just pulled my last batch out of the freezer. So really, it isn’t my fault. This actually hit the spot during all the stormy weather we have been having. And there has been a lot of stormy weather recently. Like never ending. The best part of this soup- it is SO easy to make. Kind of a cheater soup for me because I used pre cut frozen veggies. But hey, it is summer and aint nobody got time for all that chopping.
Can I just tell you that I am trying to type over here and the dogs are face wrestling basically on top of me. My arm is definitely going to get mistaken for a dog part and get chewed off. Don’t they know that the couch is my official blog office?!
Can I also tell you that we just got back from a long weekend in the Finger Lakes in New York and it was amazing. Our first wedding anniversary was May 31st so we planned a little weekend getaway. Hiking, good restaurants, and WINE! The area is just beautiful everywhere you look. I will try to post some pictures from the trip in a later post!
But the reason you are here is for veggie soup, right? This is easy peasy lemon squeezey. Feel free to throw in whatever veggies you like, fresh or frozen. Just adjust your cooking times. If you like your veggie soup a little more tomatoey, sub half of the veggie stock for tomato juice. Or just add a little tomato paste. Once your soup is simmering, you get a good idea of how thick is it going to be. I made mine nice and chunky. If you want a thinner soup with more broth to it, just add more broth! Oh, and did I mention… if you are feeling extra frisky, try making the broth yourself! See? This recipe is nice and adaptable. Here it is!
- 2 - 12 ounce bags frozen mirepoix
- 1 - 12 ounce bag frozen chopped green beans
- 1- 12 ounce bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 - 16 ounce bag frozen misc. veggies (I got a rainbow blend of peppers/yellow carrots/etc)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 cups veggie stock (or 4 cups veggie stock/4 cups tomato juice)
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 3 medium potatoes, skins removed and chopped small
- 2 - 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add potatoes and bell pepper (and any other fresh veggies you may want to throw in!) and cook for 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add frozen veggies and garlic and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until everything is heated up and softening.
- Add veggie stock, seasonings, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer uncovered for a half an hour.
- If desired, you can add more vegetable stock to make this soup a little thinner, I like mine loaded up with veggies. You can also simmer soup longer if you want your veggies to be softer.